Friday, August 13, 2010

Day Five

Recap of yesterday, the Grand something I slept over was called "Grand Island" This morning I got up at sparrows fart and left for Yellowstone National Park. Length of journey was 1200 miles! The journey up and upto the mountains, that I had to cross over, was pretty much uneventful, that is until I reached the mountain peak or range I had to cross to get to Yellowstone. Up went the road, and, I might add, (me new EVO navigational system mentioned, that sometimes this road could be closed), regardless, I tarried on. Well, all was OK until I arrived at a stop, where there were other cars waiting to move on. There was this person, dress in the customary orange and yellow reflective gear, with a flag and a sign that said STOP! Ahead was what I would call a “you can’t believe it moment” that if you weren’t there you would not believe! We were all gathered there in a long queue (line, for those that don’t know what a queue is), waiting for a single row of cars to come over this mountain pass. I decided to read some more of, ‘the girl who kicked the hornet’s nest”, eventually after 30 mins of this I could see car lights! A sign that they were coming.... A long convoy of cars passed us and now it was our turn! Let me tell you, I wish I’d had my truck then, still. We moved on, following this little construction truck, going at 5 mile an hour, over the most horrendous dirt road I have ever driven. We passed construction workers driving massive load baring trucks of which the wheel hubs were visible at my line of sight, bulldozers, massive front end pick shovels, (one load of that shovel could cover my car) monsters off the road construction. We navigated amongst clods of earth the size of my head! We could only follow in a narrow line behind the lead vehicle. I have pictures of the conditions of this road... This little journey took us half an hour, and at dusk with visibility down to nothing. On side of the road a precipice the other a mountain. Nightmare! Now I know why my EVO said that this road could be closed, in fact after 10:00 pm this was the case. Luckily, the time arrived, was around 7:00 pm when I went over that pass.

It was this little, excursion, that caused me to arrive late at the Yellowstone Park gate! I eventually arrive there, an hour later than planned, the twerp, with a scout hat (ranger), tells me we’re full, and it’ll cost you $25.00 to get in. But you can make a U turn without paying, well duh! So I ask him, is there any place I can overnight? He tells me, “you can go to Jackson Hole, there might be an hotel open, its just 45 mins to the West”, 45 mins??? you kidding me? I’ve just driven 10 hours to get here.. urgh!

Back, I go to Jackson Hole, when I get there, every hotel has a “No Vacancy” sign out. Apparently this is a popular vacationing hole for, “outdoor’” types. kayaking, canoeing, hiking etc. I managed to find one place, $350.00 for the night! I asked the lady does that include the bed? And my I take it back with me? She did not like my sarcasm... I know, not her fault, I was tired!

Back to Yellowstone. On the way to this hell hole, I passed an overlook that I saw a bunch of cars had parked in, SO I headed for this, it was only 10 miles from the gate, to Yellowstone. I pull in there, and, not a car in sight. Fortunately it was way off the road and I parked at the far end of the parking, Took out my pillow and, thankfully I had packed in a double bed blanket! The temp went down to the 50’s. I slept there the night.

Next morning bright eyed and bushy tailed I headed for the gate. I nice lady ranger tells me of the “Jackson Hole Lodge”, by this time I have had all I can take of any name with a “hole” in it! She tells me that they make the best pancakes, who eats pancakes for breakfast? Well not moi... I pull in there and order two eggs, bacon and toast, with plenty of coffee. The waitress, loved, my accent and tells me that she is going to South africa, in January, so we chat about what to see and places to avoid etc. I finish breakfast and then off to "old Faithful".

This geyser lived up to its name, it smoked and shot its gusher into the sky, what a sight! The scenery in this palce is something to behold. It can not be described adaquitely, you need to see this palce your self, I took plenty of picture, which I will share and upload, when I get the time to do it.

Leaving "Yellow Stone Park" I had another 1300 miles to get to Tacoma, WA. It was about 12:00 pm when I left there and it was impossible to make it to my destination. I found a place to sleep and had a restful night there.