We work all our lives to earn our way and provide for those we love. This, sometimes, takes a lifetime of hard work, often working at jobs we don’t even like. But then comes the dreaded day, retirement.
I have this very dear and close friend that has hit this road block. All his life he has been working and has lead a very active lifestyle. He had people to see and companies to visit, quotations to give and solutions to sell. Always busy looking for new leads and keeping a hectic schedule. That was until a week ago. His whole world has come to a standstill, he is bored and with this his mind is in turmoil. Thoughts of what do I do now goes through his head. He asks “How do I keep active and break away from the mind set of going out and being busy all day? “
My sympathies are with him and I try to encourage him by saying that he should take timeout and adjust to this new lifestyle. Take off for a month and do nothing. You’ve earned it. Get totally bored out of your mind and at the end of this month then decide what you want to do. Take a part time job, do a hobby or start a little business, follow your passion.
I try to think of how I will handle this situation if I should get to that stage in life (I’m getting very close), but fortunately for me I have followed my passion and I do what I love. Hopefully I can do this indefinitely and not ever have to “retire”.
But getting back to, retirement, this is a time where we get to reflect back on our lives and try to formalize in our minds if we have meant anything to this world. Did we leave it in a better shape than when we arrived here? What legacy am I leaving behind? Who knows, but one thing is for sure, we all will reach this day. It is up to us to fathom out how we are going to deal with it.
Later…
Hendrik