Thursday, May 10, 2007

New to me

The crowds were mingling in the street
When Jesus came to town
Pushing, shoving, touching and just to be around
I asked him home to dinner to see what I could see
From this local, famous prophet from here in Galilee

How she got inside the room, was a mystery to me.
She came right up to Him and bowed down at His knee.
She cried and wet His feet with tears and wiped them with her hair.
All that we could do right then, was stop, to look and stare,
as her strong and sweet perfume just lingered in the air

We waited there in silence, as she knelt there on the floor,
expecting Him to summon her and chase her out the door.
But it seemed this famous prophet did not know or could not tell,
that this woman, in her bawdy clothes, was the kind they buy and sell.
And all that He could do right then, was wait till she was done.

When He said, “Simon, there is something I need to say to you”
I said, “Teacher if it’s on your mind then tell me what you will”
And as He began to speak to me the room grew quicker still.
“Take a look at this woman here, in spite of all her fear
She kissed my feet with tears and dried them with her hair,
You gave, no kiss of greeting, no anointing for my head,
All that you have done is be rude to me instead, Her sins
were red as scarlet and now they’re washed away."

Well, my anger grew to hatred, and, I wanted nothing more
to take this prophet by His coat and throw him out the door.
To act like God, forgiving sin, and then speak so to me
Why, this roving, simple person, from here in
Galilee
But, all I could do was sit there, shaken to the core
Wondering what the reason was I invited Him, there, for.

The woman still, was, crying as she knelt there on the floor
Turning to her He said, and, motioned toward the door,
“No matter what they think of you, your chains have been released;
Your faith has saved you from your sin, rise, go, walk in peace
”

Later….

Hendrik