My garden, or lack of one, I had to start from scratch. I bought my house with 12 huge tree stumps, two of which had their entire root system exposed, thanks to Charlie (for the “northerners” reading this, Charlie the hurricane). Needless to say after much stump grinding and tree debris removal I had a clean slate to start my garden.
After laying out my flower beds and staking in the borders, (three weekends of backbreaking work), I finally had the beginnings of a garden. Slowly I have been transplanting bushes, small palms and even small trees. I have mowed the lawn, and even though it is ninety percent weeds at least it is green! The lawn will have to wait until the beds are done.
Since I have become “an outdoorsy” person, I have noticed life around my garden. Some of my friends are; two black colored snakes, a squirrel, and a pair of “Northern Nightingales” who have decided to nest in one of the two trees left in my “garden.”
Now, and I did not know this, but Nightingales are very territorial, and nothing, that is not wanted, other than a meal, is allowed near “their” tree. This bird, the mother, who I call Kim (since she is so cheeky), is the size of a large mouse and as aggressive as a lion. I have seen Kim go head to head with the squirrel on the back yard fence, like two boxers sparing against each other. I have seen Kim attack the snakes. Let me tell you I have never see a snake move so fast, especially with this little bird pecking at their tails!
But today was the most. I, also, forgot to tell you that my office is on the side where I can observe “my garden,” and the tree in which Kim and her beloved are nesting. I digress; as I was surveying my garden I noticed a movement on the ground below the tree. It was one of Kim’s offspring, obviously fallen out of the nest (maybe another Kim in the making). So as a dutiful landlord I decided I’d put little Kimmie back in the fold. With ladder and a small hand shovel in hand I advanced to the “tree.” At first glance I noticed that the nest had fallen to one side (not the most perfect nest I have ever seen), but proceeded to lift it back into its original position. I also noticed that little Kimmie had two other siblings, with mouths wide open, thinking that I was there with a special treat. At that moment I felt a sharp stinging sensation on the back of my head! Kim had attacked me! Twice she did this!
With me waving off the attacker with one hand, and with the other, I gently levered little Kimmie onto the hand held shovel, careful not to touch her, (I heard a myth that if one touches a new born bird that the mother can smell this and reject feeding it), back up the ladder I succeeded to place little Kimmie back in the nest.
Little Kimmie has been back in the nest for two hours now and mother is feeding all and sundry as if nothing had happened.
I’m back at work and life goes on in my garden.
Hendrik
Later…