Friday, December 5, 2008

Friends


Starting to type this blog I miss typed friends and typed “fiends,” which is often the case.

Friends who needs them? I often ask myself this question when I think of the crap we have to put up with sometimes. So, I think back to all the friends I’ve had over the long stretch of my life, and must admit that most of them disappoint you in some way or other along the way. But without friends what would we be? Alone, and maybe not very pleasant to live with, just to hazard a guess, but I need to admit I get along with myself very well thank you!

The obvious question to ask now is; “what kind of a friend am I?” I would like to think that I am considerate, not that demanding as some of my friends are. I don’t think that I need much attention and certainly don’t think that my needs need to be satisfied at all times. I’d also like to think that I’m a loyal friend, one that can be depended on, in a time of crisis or need. I’d like to think I am generous with my time and knowledge when called upon to help or assist. I also don’t like to think that the big “I” or “ME, ME” is in my vocabulary.

Getting back to friends, I have very close friends that I will confide in and share my most intimate thoughts with and know that they will stay right there. I have friends that quite frankly I would hardly tell the time of day to! Some you can trust explicitly others not. I need to admit that I have only had four very close men friends in my lifetime, two of which I have not heard from I many years since they immigrated, one, still in South Africa, with whom I try to catch up with, whenever I visit, and finally one here in Orlando.

My lady friends? I have three very close friends at that:

First, I will mention Maria; she is the wife of my very good friend here in Orlando. I will move mountains for this woman. She has shown me love and respect, especially through my loves and breakups and even put up with me for three months, in their home, when I relocated back to Orlando from one of my “walk-abouts,” this, until I found a home to purchase and move into. She puts up with “the grumpy old men” and feeds us so well it’s incredulous! She is a very strong and opinionated woman, and when there’s a fight to be had, I want her on my side! I can say all of this about her, but don’t let anyone else dare, and I will defend her till kingdom come.

Second, I’ll mention my close new friend, Angela; she’s half my age, with a wit so sharp and an intelligence that often surprises me! I don’t think half the people around her actually, “get her.” She and I have something in common that we seem to understand each other often just a look and we are on the same wave length. She, I must admit, “gets me,” and often tells me I’m full of crap! I almost feel like smacking her, when she is so correct with her observance of the situaton. Pity she was not a bit older (much to her horror) and single! I have often told her that if she did not have a father, I’d adopt her as my daughter. She has, (I admit the first time I met her, I did not take kindly to her), matured over the years, and now I can actually say I love and respect this woman. My reasons are simple, I watch how she raises her children, the patience she has with them, she reads to them, she does not raise her voice to them and she has done a marvelous job with Teddy, her daughter. The “Hud” well he’s another story!

Lastly, the woman that I went into partnership with and that I trusted explicitly, and still do. She is as honest as all day Sunday; she has the most delightful giggle and laugh, which just makes ones day. She and I have not been in contact since I left the partnership more than 15 years ago. Not for lack of trying either! She just sort of disappeared of the radar. I asked all my old colleagues and business friends “where is Ilse?” No one could tell me. So, on an off chance I sat here one night and thought to myself, “why not Google her?” Which I did and much to my surprise she came up in my search! Working for a company I knew, and went to their web page, and there I found her number. It was 2:00 am ET USA, her time 8:00 am, and I called her. She answered and we started where we left off so many years ago. What a lovely surprise and gift especially at this time of year. We have now been in contact via e-mail and I phone her now and then, and we are catching up with each other’s lives. Nice, I like that.

So, friends? We need them, they keep us looking to ourselves, keep us controlled and less obnoxious. They tend to bring out the good in us, they make us think less of ourselves and in most cases bring joy into our lives.

We need them!


Later …

Hendrik.